Thursday, October 14, 2010

I was told I would need a $2,500 retainer

Child support payments do not automatically stop when your kids turn 18.  You need a court order to make them stop.

I was divorced in South Carolina in 1994.  My wife was awarded custody of our two children and I was ordered to pay child support.  I did so dutifully for 16 years with each payment being automatically deducted from my paycheck.  The law in South Carolina essentially states that child support will be paid until the child reaches 18 years of age.  It can be extended if the child is still in high school. 

After my youngest turned 18 and both kids were out of school, I tried to get out of paying child support.  I called Family Court and was told that I would need an attorney to change the original court order.  I called several attorneys but all wanted a retainer up front and estimated the total cost at around 5-10 grand.  It's nearly impossible to come up with that kind of money when you're paying child support.  I couldn't afford an attorney until I stopped paying child support but I couldn't stop paying child support until I could afford an attorney.  A classic Catch-22.  I called Family Court again to try to explain my situation better but was again told that I would need an attorney.  I tried to find an attorney that would allow me to make payments using the money that would have gone to child support for however long it would take to pay them back, but none were interested.

For anyone who may be in a similar position, I'll let you in on a little secret.  If your children are 18 and not enrolled in school - YOU DON'T NEED AN ATTORNEY!!!!  Go to Family Court and ask to fill out an affidavit to stop paying child support.  The official name of the document is "Motion and Affidavit in Support of Termination of Child Support Based on Emancipation".  You can pick it up there or you can find the form online here.  My divorce was done in Charleston County so I went to the courthouse downtown.  It is a little bit of a maze so just ask the security personnel where the Family Court Child Support office is.  They'll point you in the right direction.  When I got to the right window, they even helped me fill it out! 

You will need to bring copies of your childrens' birth certificates which you can get from your local DHEC office if you don't have them.  They usually cost about $12 each.  You will also need to bring some kind of proof that your 18 year old children are not enrolled in school.  If they are 19 or older, they don't care.

Once you fill out the affidavit, the clerk will give it to the judge the next time they are on the bench.  In my case, it was the same morning.  They will mail you a copy of the signed order and also send another copy to the other parent of the children.  The other party has 30 days to respond in which case they will have to establish that the child is still attending high school, has a physical or mental disability, or that there was a pre-existing order to the contrary.  I cannot offer any advice if the other party files a motion to continue payment.

I hope this information helps anyone who has faithfully and dutifully paid child support and are now eligible to stop paying but are told to get an attorney.  Maybe it will save you some of the grief and countless extra months of paying that I had to endure.  I would love to hear some feedback.  Just send me an e-mail at mackster66@hotmail.com or post a comment below.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the much needed information. I to am in SC and will be trying this layout later this week. We will see how it goes.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does it wirk if you have 1 child turning 18 and the other child is 13. Who refigures the new amount to be paid for the younger child?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, this method does not apply to your situation. Since you still have a child that requires you to pay child support, you need to obtain a new court order. I would suggest that you seek an attorney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this helpful information. My husband has been paying child support for four years longer than needed and now he can have it stopped!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very helpful!! thanxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband has been paying for a total of 3 children and one of them turned 18 & graduated HS 5 years ago and the other child has turned 18 this year and is graduation HS next week. My husband has been worried that he will have to pay more for 1 child than he had been for 3 I am not sure if this is correct any feedback would be great, thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your situation is not uncommon but, unfortunately, there is not a common answer. Since he still has to pay child support for the third child, he cannot just file an affidavit to stop paying. He would have to request a family court hearing to adjust the amount he is paying now that the first two children are emancipated. There is a child support schedule that the court uses to determine how much the child support would be. You can estimate the amount of support by using the child support calculator found here - http://www.state.sc.us/dss/csed/calculator.htm

      If he is making considerably more money now and his ex is making considerably less, then it is possible that he will end up paying more for one child if he asks for an adjustment.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for info. Do I have to wait til my youngest to graduate before I fill out affidavit? She is already 18.

      Delete
    3. The short answer is yes. If your child is still in school, then support can be extended. In order to terminate the support order, you would most likely benefit from the expertise of an attorney. If your child is no longer in school, then you can file on your own.

      Delete
  7. great info my son quick school when he was 17
    a drug addicted mom.
    he has been living with me most of the time.
    now i have him on a ged program a job and setting him up for life.
    its unfair that his mom gets that $ to use it on drugs cause god knows he didn't get much out of it.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great info here. One thing to keep in mind is there are some circumstances where you may have to continue paying child support even if your child is over 18. These circumstances can include if they are still studying, they have a mental or physical disability, or they have a serious illness. As you said it is always a good idea to check your local state's laws around this. Child Support Lawyers Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for profit and
    loss statement

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome I love this!

    ReplyDelete